It can place you at the epicenter of the fashion world with endless amazing opportunities. However there is another side to this industry.
In reality this industry is now highly competitive and can be challenging to break in to. We do not want to crush your dreams but we do want you to view this profession realistically. If you are determined and willing to give it your everything, then rest assured you will succeed.
Being a makeup artist is hard work with long and often crazy hours. The more exciting the makeup job, the more that is expected of you.
The skills you will need as makeup artist include:
- Creativity with a strong imagination and visual awareness.
- Fantastic communication skills. You will need to be able to deal with both creative and technical types of people, so versatility in your communication is essential.
- Confidence is very important. You need to be able to deal with critic so develop a thick skin from the start and be willing to learn from your experiences. Having confidence in your own skill will inspire and reassure others to be confident in you.
- The long hours require stamina and you have to be flexible with your working schedule. This industry does not really follow the predictability of a 9 to 5. You will be working to tight deadlines so you will be under pressure to get the job done within a set time frame.
- You will need to be super organized and methodical to manage everything whilst paying attention to detail.
- Your working location maybe diverse and unpredictable, so you will have to learn to work with what you have depending on the facilities of that location.
There are different ways that you can become a makeup artist.
One method is to take a makeup training course to learn your skill. If you educate and develop your skill from the onset it will give you a much better chance of getting future jobs. Once your training is complete, you will have to gain some work experience. You may have to work for free. This time should be used to further your learning, increase your speed and learn about the practical realities of being a makeup artist. You will then start to develop your own portfolio.
Initially you may want to do test shoots. This is where your sole aim is to get an image for your portfolio. The photographer and models mutual agenda will mean they will participate in this test shoot for free.
Obviously there are many other ways to go get into the makeup industry, for instance, you may decide you would like to improve your experience by working at a cosmetics counter where you will be required to give makeovers. The possibilities are vast, it’s up to you to seek the opotunities so that you can further your career.
However you choose to enter makeup artistry, it truly is a fantastic career option for a hardworking and creative individual.